Saturday, March 17, 2012

A Biologist's St. Patrick's Day Song

Drunk On Biology For St. Patrick's Day

'via Blog this' and  The Salt : NPR




Have you ever wondered what would happen if Louis Pasteur joined The Clancy Brothers? Or if  The Chieftains were more nerdy and less talented? Well, wonder no longer!



And below are the lyrics so you can sing along:
In the year of our lord eighteen hundred and eleven
On March the seventeenth day
I will raise up a beer and I’ll raise up a cheer
For Saccharomyces cerevisiae
Here’s to brewers yeast, that humblest of all beasts
Producing carbon gas reducing acetaldehyde
But my friends that isn’t all — it makes ethyl alcohol
That is what the yeast excretes and that’s what we imbibe
Anaerobic isolation
Alcoholic fermentation
NADH oxidation
Give me a beer
CHORUS:

Lie di di yie die diddly eye
Diddle oh die day oh
Lie di di yie die diddly eye
Alcohol
My intestinal wall absorbs that ethanol
And soon it passes through my blood-brain barrier
There’s a girl in the next seat who I didn’t think that sweet
But after a few drinks I want to marry her
I guess it’s not surprising, my dopamine is rising
And my glutamate receptors are all shot
I’d surely be bemoaning all the extra serotonin
But my judgment is impaired and my confidence is not
Allosteric modulation
No Long Term Potentiation
Hastens my inebriation
Give me a beer
[CHORUS]
When ethanol is in me, some shows up in my kidneys
And inhibits vasopressin by degrees
A decrease in aquaporins hinders water re-absorption
And pretty soon I really have to pee
Well my liver breaks it down so my body can rebound
By my store of glycogen is soon depleted
And tomorrow when I’m sober I will also be hungover
Cause I flushed electrolytes that my nerves and muscles needed
Diuretic activation
Urination urination
Urination dehydration
Give me a beer
[CHORUS]

2 comments: