Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Who are your Role Models? Part 1: Aristotle

Aristotle (384 BC – 322 BC)

First up in this series on Role Models is the ancient Greek philosopher, Aristotle http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aristotle.

Steven E. Landsburg wrote, "Why do modern philosophers still read the ancients? Have we not progressed past the point of their relevance?" In my way of thinking, I appreciate that Aristotle wrestled with some of the same big ideas that still interest philosophers today. In this way, Aristotle provides not the answer but the benchmark for modern thinkers. Aristotle was third in a series of classical Greek philosophers. The eldest, Socrates, was known for his style of debate and inquiry (the Socratic Method). Socrates' protege, Plato, was known for his concept of ideals and forms. Plato's student, Aristotle, extended the realm of inquiry into many new fields such as politics, aesthetics, logic, morality, and physical sciences. He became tutor to Alexander the Great. Cicero described his writings as a river of gold. Worthy praise!

Two things about Aristotle have stuck with me. For one, some sources quote him as saying that man's highest purpose is the development of character. I have yet to confirm that this thought originated with Aristotle, but it does seem consistent with his philosophy and I really like it. I have taken as my life's mission the development and refinement of my character.

A second idea I have borrowed from Aristotle is the idea of practical application.
Aristotle held that there were three basic activities of man: theoriapoiesis and praxis. There corresponded to these kinds of activity three types of knowledge: theoretical, to which the end goal was truth; poietical, to which the end goal was production; and practical, to which the end goal was action. Aristotle further divided practical knowledge into ethicseconomics and politics.
I have pursued degrees in Architecture, Systems Management, and Operations Research not because of a quest for some ivory tower theoretical purity, nor for a mundane, transactional profit motive, but because I want to apply my love for both art and science to things that are truly useful and relevant. My PhD work is in Applied Management and Decision Sciences, not theoretical management or get rich quick schemes. I like the idea of practical application so much that I'd like to call my future consulting business Praxis. A little research shows that there are already a number of businesses and websites and teacher training programs that pay similar tribute to Aristotle, so this is not an original idea.

Sure, the world has changed a lot since Aristotle lived, taught, and wrote about it. That does not bother me and why should it? 2000 years from now, people are still likely to be talking about Aristotle, despite what Dr. Landsburg says.

No comments:

Post a Comment