Friday, August 12, 2011

LinkedIn on my $ # ! + List


Oh, the irony! Just after my post on the virtues of social media, I was quite perturbed to learn that LinkedIn is getting loose with my privacy.
LinkedIn users are upset that the company has taken the Facebook approach in regards to online privacy with a recent change to the privacy policy. Under the guise of providing more privacy control to the user, the social network has automatically opted-in its 100 million users into the social advertising program without informing them of the change beyond a blog post. When a LinkedIn user views a third-party advertisement on the social network, they will see user profile pictures and names of connections if that connection has recommended or followed a brand. Any time that a user follows a brand, they unwittingly become a cheerleader for the company or organization if it advertises through LinkedIn. --news.yahoo.com

LinkedIn was on my Scheisse list before they opted me and 100 million people into an a third party advertizing scheme. Two weeks ago, they recommended 18 people for me. I unchecked all but two. So it sent those two invitations, but apparently made a sweep through my address book on the way. Imagine my shock and horror when I saw that over 300 invites went out! Some of them went to ME at my Walden, Army, or Hotmail addresses. Of course, I ignored them. However, if one doesn't respond, LinkedIn sends annoying little nag notes. UGH! Some "favor."


Check out Steve Woodruff's excellent blog post on the subject HERE. I followed his step-by-step guide and UNchecked the permissions box. Possibly an over-reaction, but I feel that some sort of announcement from LinkedIn was due me. To just unilaterally and clandestinely opt everyone IN has an onerous tone. To be fair, LinkedIn has responded to tons of feedback, and Steve has posted UPDATES on his blog reflecting LinkedIn's willingness to listen and change.



Hmmm.... Maybe social networks are not so bad, after all!


By the way, Steve's free eBook is well worth a look. From his site, download Woodruff, S. (2009 / 2011). Build your own opportunity network: Getting started in social networking. Self-published.




Hat tip: Mary

No comments:

Post a Comment