I have cancer. My brother has cancer. We all have cancer...
We are all terminal--but for some of us, that reality looms more ominously
What would you do if you knew that this day would be your last?
I am not talking about some vague "within 3 months" window. I mean TO-DAY
- Would you start writing a book? The Great American Novel?
- Would you smoke pot for the first time, because, why not?
- Start a fight? Settle a score?
- Train for that marathon you've been wanting to run?
- Would you look at an old photo album and recall glory days gone by?
- Call up an old friend and renew old ties?
- Make some tea?
- Would you review and catalog your memories in a desperate highlight reel?
- Would you gather and distribute your treasures in an attempt to be remembered?
- Would the tone of your last poem be wistful? Hopeful? Fearful? Resigned? All of the above?
- If you wouldn't start reading a new book or sit in a multiplex on your last day, why not?
- Would you rush to the office to finish up all those projects? Or maybe just one project?
- On second thought
And we shall have, for at least that brief moment, truly lived!