Tuesday, August 10, 2010

How Do I Organize My Blog?




Inspired by a feng shui ba-gua map, I developed an interesting little model for creating and tracking my personal goals. There are nine components to my model. Visualize a 3 x 3 grid base, with each of the squares representing one of the components.  Start in the middle square, in which I place goals having to do with physical, mental, and spiritual health, work-life balance, and so on.  Then move south to the square for goals having to do with my passions and motives.  Proceed clockwise around the grid.

Categories are: 

·        Center: health, balance, physical, spiritual and mental fitness
·        Purpose: passion, career, motive
·        Introspection: spirituality, self-improvement, education, meditation
·        Support: family, friends, community, neighbors, church
·        Gratitude: reward, making, saving, investing, spending, giving
·        Authenticity: production, work, foundation, outreach, legacy
·        Receptivity: relationships, love, companionship 
·        Joy: creativity, music, art, children, dance
·        Awareness: travel, helpful people, new ideas, gurus

Now imagine the grid is a Rubik’s Cube, stacked three high.  The layers represent three different ways of dealing with the goals, starting from the base and going upwards:

·        Hands: physical, mechanical objects and production
·        Head: mental, information and concepts
·        Heart: spiritual, unity and flow
The degree to which goals and objectives are fulfilled can be represented by a color. Green means that results are within an acceptable band, Amber means that results are below expectations but progress is being made, and Red means that progress is halted or off track and immediate attention is needed.  The color of the large cube reflects the color of each of the 27 smaller cubes.  

I think I can employ that “Ba-gua Cube” somehow to organize my blog. I’ll start by using the 9 categories as pages, labels, or tags.

Now if I can just figure out how to tag posts!

1 comment:

  1. Turns out tagging is not an option in Blogger. However, the Label function works well! From now on I will label my posts according to the Ba-gua Cube theme. The Label gadget will show all the labels in a list and count all the posts under each label. I like it.

    ReplyDelete