Tuesday, August 14, 2018

An Ode to the 1952 Vincent Black Lightning






1952 Vincent Black Lightning
by Richard Thompson



Says Red Molly, to James, "Well that's a fine motorbike.
A girl could feel special on any such like."
Says James, to Red Molly, "My hat's off to you.
It's a Vincent Black Lightning, 1952.


And I've seen you on the corners and cafes, it seems.
Red hair and black leather, my favorite color scheme."
And he pulled her on behind,
And down to Boxhill,
They'd Ride.


Says James, to Red Molly, "Here's a ring for your right hand.
But I'll tell you in earnest I'm a dangerous man;
For I've fought with the law since I was seventeen.
I've robbed many a man to get my Vincent machine.


And now I'm twenty-one years, I might make twenty-two.
And I don't mind dyin' but for the love of you.
But if fate should break my stride, then I'll give you my Vincent,
To Ride."


"Come down Red Molly, " called Sargent McQuade.
"For they've taken young James Aidee for Armed Robbery.
Shotgun blast hit his chest, left nothing inside.
Oh, come down, Red Molly, to his dying bedside."


When she came to the hospital, there wasn't much left.
He was runnin' out of road. He was runnin' out of breath.
But he smiled, to see her cry.
And said, "I'll give you my Vincent.
To Ride."


Said James, "In my opinion, there's nothing in this world
Beats a '52 Vincent and a Redheaded girl.
Now Nortons and Indians and Greeves' won't do.
Oh, they don't have a Soul like a Vincent '52."


Well he reached for her hand and he slipped her the keys.
He said, "I've got no further use...for these.
I see Angels on Ariels in leather and chrome,
Swoopin' down from Heaven to carry me home."


And he gave her one last kiss and died.
And he gave her his Vincent.
To Ride.

Can you imagine Red Molly taking James Aidee's Black Lightning on that first solo ride?

Red Molly
Now it's time to have a listen to Richard Thompson performing his classic song.




To hear the soul-stirring sound of a vintage Vincent
press 
>> HERE <<



Now let's have a look at some of the motorcycles James Aidee considered and dismissed in favor of his Vincent Black Lightning, 1952.  


Museum of Contemporary Motorcycles Referenced in the Song
1952 Vincent Black Shadow, similar to the Black Lightning

1949 Vincent Red Rapide

Let's agree with Richard Thompson's James Aidee: compared to the Vincent models, and especially to the super-fast Black Lightning, the contemporary Nortons, Indians, and Greeves' simply won't do. 

1952 Norton Model 7 Dominator, the Norton
factory's first twin cylinder machine

1953 Indian Chief, big and bulky and built
for comfort on the wide open road

1955 Greeves 20T, built three years after the Lightning,
and for a different purpose (time-trials) 

1957 Greeves Fleetwing has the same unusual downtube as the 20T,
but a bigger engine and more of a road-worthy design


To my eyes, the Ariel comes the closest to matching the soul of the Vincent. Still, it isn't quite right, either. Not even the 1938 Red Hunter seems fit for a leather-clad angel on a soul-saving mission. 


1938 Ariel Red Hunter

I can't imagine why the Triumph fails to get a mention in this song.

1952 Triumph Thunderbird

Being more of a Harley man myself, I propose an edit:

"I see Angels on Harleys in leather and chrome, 
Swoopin' down from Heaven to carry me home." 

Just for the sake of comparison (and as if to prove my point), here is an image of my angel's preferred chariot. When my time comes. take me home on a Harley! 


1952 Harley-Davidson FL Hydra-Glide
As we know from another post on this blog, 1952 was a big year for the Harley-Davidson Motor Company. That's the year that their large-frame bike, the FL Hydra-Glide, was fitted with a new style of transmission featuring a hand clutch and a foot shifter. This would soon become an industry standard. The old EL model, with its foot clutch and hand shifter, was discontinued. Note: my leather-clad angels would not let a suicide shifter deter them for a moment!  


But this post is about the legendary Vincent Black Lightning motorcycle. Capable of speeds up to 150 mph, the Black Lightning set many speed records in its era. In January 2018, it set one more record: A 1951 Vincent Black Lightning motorcycle sold at auction for the highest price ever paid: $929,000!
Jack Ehret signed this bike on which he set the Australian land speed record (141.5 mph) in January 1953


The most expensive motorcycle in the world is one of only a few dozens known to exist, and one of only 19 with full matching numbers (same numbers on both the frame and the engine). It bears Jack Ehret's signature on the fuel tank. Bonhams sold it in Las Vegas in January 2018 for $929,000–a record for any motorcycle at auction

Read more about the bike on The Hot Bid, and learn about a second Vincent Black Lightning going up for sale at Bonhams in Alabama in October 2018.

I wonder if Richard Thompson, whose brilliant folk song has added immeasurably to the lore of the Black Lightning, will get a share of the proceeds?


"Red hair and black leather, my favorite color scheme."

As always, thank you for reading PhilosFX. Feel free to follow, comment, and share if you are so inclined.


No comments:

Post a Comment