What are you doing to celebrate #ACBW?
As you know, I am strongly pro-beer. I am an all-things-in-moderation guy, and I am all about variety, choice, and discovery. So for me, savoring small samples of many different brewed offerings with a few friends is not only fun, but also enlightening and liberating.
So I couldn't be happier about the state of American Craft Beer today the the prospects for the future. More brewers, more beers, more styles and choices, more venues, more creativity, more competition, more customers.
And of course, the burgeoning brewing scene in our Nation's Capitol is making DC a beer-lover's Mecca.
I have enjoyed 24 American Craft Beers in four local venues this week. This included a tour of Mad Fox Brewery on Meet the Brewer Night Thursday and a beer tasting event at Rick's Wine & Gourmet Saturday.
Get out and support your local brewers.
Recap of American Craft Beers (in order of tasting)
- Great Lakes Dortmunder Gold, worth its GABF Gold
- Great Lakes Burning River Pale Ale
- Great Lakes Eliot Ness Amber
- Great Lakes Edmund Fitzgerald Porter, a perennial favorite
- New Belgium Shift Pale Lager new from New Belgium, and their first lager. Wonderful!
- Flying Dog Kujo Imperial Coffee Stout, scary-nice!
- Mad Fox Broad Street IPA
- Mad Fox Big Chimney's Porter (Cask)
- Mad Fox Tinner Hill IPA
- Devil's Backbone Eight Point IPA
- Yards India Pale Ale (Cask)
- Mad Fox American Pale Ale aka Defender APA from the zwickel
- Mad Fox Diabolik Belgian Strong Ale aka Devil's Due from the zwickel
- Mad Fox St. James Irish Dry Stout from the zwickel and from the tap
- Mad Fox Mason's Dark Bitter, brand new 3.5% Mild, flavorful and ultimately sessionable.
- Widmer W 12 Brewmasters' Release
- Sierra Nevada Ruthless Rye IPA
- Victory Summer Love
- Devil's Backbone Belgian Congo Pale Ale
- Sixpoint Apollo
- Samuel Adams Norse Legend Sahti
- DuClaw Soul Jacker
- Flying Dog Wildeman Farmhouse IPA
- Duck-Rabbit Baltic Porter
- Amber Ale
- American Pale Ale
- Baltic Porter
- Belgian IPA
- Belgian Strong Ale
- Dark Saison
- Dortmunder Gold
- English Mild
- Farmhouse IPA
- Imperial Coffee Stout
- India Pale Ale (5)
- Irish Dry Stout
- Light Ale
- Pale Ale
- Porter (2)
- Russian Imperial Stout Barleywine
Recap of American Craft Brewers (in alpha order)
- Boston Beer Co, MA
- Devil's Backbone, VA (2)
- Duck-Rabbit, NC
- DuClaw, MD
- Flying Dog Brewery, DE (2)
- Great Lakes Brewing Co., OH (4)
- Mad Fox Brewery, VA (7)
- New Belgium, CO
- Sierra Nevada, CA
- Sixpoint Craft Ales, NY
- Victory, PA
- Widmer Brothers Brewing, OR
- Yards, PA
Recap of US States in which these American Craft Beers were brewed (in alpha order)
- MD (2)
- OH (4)
- PA (2)
- VA (9)
Recap of Venues (in order of patronage)
- Casa del Foam
- Virtue Feed and Grain
- Mad Fox Brewpub
- Rick's Wine & Gourmet