Thursday, September 15, 2011

Working to Maintain Your High-Quality Viewing Experience on PhilosFX












Introducing Xenu, whose portrait and technical rendering appear above and on Xenu's website. I want to tell you about how I used Xenu's Link Sleuth (TM) to easily find and fix broken links here on PhilosFX.  I am always keeping an eye out for new tips and tricks to maintain a high quality experience for my readers.

One thing that disappoints or even irritates most blog readers is broken links. Don't you hate broken links? It's so discouraging when a link goes to a dead end. When I find a broken link, I may send the author a note. More often than not, I just move on to the next blog.

I want all my links to work forever, but this goal is somewhat out of my control as time goes on. All I really know is that the links worked when I added them. But the source may have changed, or the author may have moved or deleted the content. I have thousands of links here in PhilosFX. How can I ensure they all work and your experience is rewarding?

Searching though the Internet for an answer to this question, I stumbled upon an article posted on 12 Most by   on Jun 17, 2011. The article is here: 12 Most Basic Things You Can Do For Your Web Site Without Modifying It And in particular, the specific tool recommended for finding and fixing broken links is here Find broken links on your site with Xenu's Link Sleuth (TM)

I downloaded the free software and scanned my blog. Here are the results of Xenu's Link Sleuth (TM) scan.

URLs: 9533
Duration: 13:47
Good: 98.32%

Frankly, I was surprised to see so many links! Wow. And with so many things that can change in a year, I was pleasantly surprised to see that over 98% of the links here are still valid. Of course, the opposite is also true: 1.68% of the links were broken. That's about 160 links that had to be reset.

The odds of you finding a broken link on PhilosFX are small, but if you do find one, please report it to me so I can fix it. Meanwhile, try Xenu for yourself if you have an application for it, as I think it works well. I'll run Link Sleuth periodically to maintain your high-quality viewing experience here at PhilosFX.


No comments:

Post a Comment