Monday, October 10, 2011

Finisher! ATM 2011


It's not WHEN you finish
It's THAT you finish!

Inching forward toward the starting chute, a fellow runner quipped, "Just keep moving and don't fall over." That became my mantra during the race.

This year's Army Ten-Miler (ATM) was a great jog through town with 30,000 of my "closest" friends. We had perfect weather for a moving family reunion. I ran into (almost literally in one case) lots of people I hadn't seen in years. Always happy to see so many long-lost colleagues.

Some things were different this year. I did not see the flute player or the juggler. I saw fewer costumes. I did not see the Golden Knights or any static displays. The food and water tents and the after-race party area were set up in North Parking, further from the Metro. Some people wanted credit for a half marathon because of the extra distance we had to cover.

I had a great time. The ATM is like homecoming.



Related post: http://philosfx.blogspot.com/2010/10/finisher.html

2 comments:

  1. Way to go!! Feels great to finish, doesn't it?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Jewels: Yes, the joy of getting there--of crossing that finish line--is sweet. Of course, I did not say it was pretty. A medic singled me out and asked, "Sir, are you OK?" I managed a smile and said, "Never better!"

    ReplyDelete