Tell #NBC that you will NOT watch the March 1st episode of #ChicagoFire because you are a decent human being and it's too soon to make money off of the horror that was the "Ghost Ship" fire.
NBC is planning to air an episode entitled "Deathtrap" which is a realistic depiction of the Oakland warehouse fire that took place just 3 months ago. That fire trapped and killed 36 people and injured 2 more. The community and the survivors and their friends and families are still reeling from this devastating loss!
The synopsis of "Deathtrap" makes it clear that NBC is re-enacting the Oakland warehouse fire in a Chicago setting. The casting call makes explicit reference to "Ghost Ship" and the requirement for actors to re-enact the experience of being trapped in a blazing warehouse. How did this disgusting and crass story get green-lighted? Have the executives at NBC lost their minds?
Call to Action
- Social media warriors, drive to ZERO the viewership for this indecent episode.
- Corporate sponsors, withdraw your advertising dollars from this repugnant programming.
- Dick Wolf, super-star producer, admit that this idea was a crass mistake, and acknowledge the lesson learned: We value life when we respect the dead.
- Detailed investigation of the fire: http://www.sfchronicle.com/oakland-fire/
- Biographies of the victims: http://projects.sfchronicle.com/2016/oakland-fire-victims/
- Another look at victims' profiles: http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/Profiles-of-those-who-died-in-huge-warehouse-fire-10691083.php
- Chicago Fire, Episode 5.15, "Deathtrap," promotional photos and press release: http://www.spoilertv.com/2017/02/chicago-fire-episode-515-deathtrap.html
- Ripped-from-the-headlines plot is a crass move: http://www.mercurynews.com/
2017/02/23/ghost-ship-fire- inspires-nbc-drama-a-really- crass-move/
- File under gross things that TV executives do: http://sfist.com/2017/02/23/
- Tell NBC to get ready for social media warfare! http://corporate.comcast.com/news-information/leadership-overview
- Super-Producer Dick Wolf is joined by Matt Olmstead, Danielle Gelber, Michael Brandt, Derek Haas, Peter Jankowski, and Joe Chappelle. Light them up! http://corporate.comcast.com/news-information/news-feed/the-peacock-picks-up-grimm-chicago-fire-and-chicago-p-d