Monday, July 18, 2011

What the Heck is Hoka Hey?

I have written before about my dream of an epic motorcycle adventure. Imagine: two wheels and a backpack, the open road, and a month to ride through the best that North America has to offer. So when I saw an invitation to come to Patriot University at Patriot Harley-Davidson in Fairfax and learn about the Hoka Hey Challenge, I signed up.

The Hoka Hey Motorcycle Challenge is a 10,000+ mile road rally. This, the second year in the rally's history, will take riders through all 48 US states and into Canada. $500,000 in prize money will go to the top 25 finishers. Applications were capped at 1000 entrants who each paid a $1000 entry fee.

Patriot is sponsoring Keith "Dino" DeNinno. Dino was the guest speaker at the Patriot University session on Saturday, July 16th. He spoke for two hours to a packed house, sharing lessons learned from his other endurance rides, and offering tips to prospective riders. I bit hard. Not this year, but next year...

I'd still like to go on the rides I've designed, but the advantage of riding next year's Hoka Hey Challenge is that I'd be sure to have other riders and support crews around. As much as I like the freedom of the open road, I also like the camaraderie of being on a team. An organized rally offers the best of both.

Hoka Hey is a Lakota phrase meaning, "It's a good day to die." My interpretation: competing in the Hoka Hey Challenge is part of a life well-lived.

 Much more info is here: Hoka Hey

2 comments:

  1. Here is a little more information about the meaning of Hoka Hey: http://bit.ly/n8Bkkd

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like the organizers had a few problems in the first year. I hope they get the bugs worked out. http://bit.ly/pO6r7y

    ReplyDelete