Sure, that beer tastes good, but is it good for you? This seems a reasonable question to ask this time of year. It's autumn, and the wet-hopped harvest ales are everywhere, along with the Oktoberfest Maerzens and the spicy pumpkin ales. Thank goodness for chocolate, coffee, and stout--the key ingredients to one of my fall favorites: imperial chocolate coffee stout!
Alcohol is both a tonic and a poison. The difference lies mostly in the dose....
As they say, all things in moderation. There is strong medical evidence that drinking moderate amounts of alcohol reduces risk of heart disease. Have a look at these five L.I.N.K.S., and see your yourself!
1. Medical evidence links moderate drinking and reduced risk of heart disease (MNT)
2. Moderate drinking seems to be good for the heart and circulatory system (Harvard)
3. Risks and benefits of alcohol comsumption (NIH)
4. 5 hidden health benefits of alcohol (Livestrong)
5. How alcohol may affect longevity and heart health (HuffPost)
Here are links to previous entries in the L.I.N.K.S. series. Enjoy!
L.I.N.K.S. 1 (Interesting): http://philosfx.blogspot.com/2010/12/links-that-lure-intrigue-nurture-kindle.html
L.I.N.K.S. 2 (Random): http://philosfx.blogspot.com/2011/01/links-that-lure-intrigue-nurture-kindle.html
L.I.N.K.S. 3 (Mysterious): http://philosfx.blogspot.com/2011/03/links-that-lure-intrigue-nurture-kindle.html
L.I.N.K.S. 4 (Building informed and engaged organizations, teams, and individuals): http://philosfx.blogspot.com/2011/05/links-that-lure-intrigue-nurture-kindle.html